Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, who is close to President Ali Abdullah Saleh, says he is backing the protest movement against the regime. Two other senior army commanders are also reported to have resigned. President Saleh said he was “holding out” and the majority of Yemenis still supported him, Al Arabiya TV reported. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Security forces in Bahrain have tightened their grip on the capital Manama, after using tanks, tear gas, water cannon and helicopters to remove hundreds of anti-government demonstrators earlier in the day. The military has imposed a curfew in several areas of the city. Reporter Sean Carberry has been witnessing events unfold in Manama. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Leaders in Bahrain have been trying, and failing, to contain Shia-led demonstrations gathering steam in the last few weeks. So the ruling family appealed for help. Today, they got it from Saudi Arabia. Anchor Marco Werman finds out more from Sean Carberry, senior correspondent for the PRI program “America Abroad.” Download MP3
Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
While Colonel Gaddafi’s forces continue to make advances on rebel-held territory in Libya, there was a muted response to internet appeals for a day of demonstrations in Saudi Arabia, as the Kingdom deployed massive security Friday to prevent any illegal gatherings. We get a roundup of other protests today in North Africa and the Middle East from reporters Sean Carberry in Bahrain, Laura Lynch in Saudi Arabia, and Ben Gilbert in Egypt. Download MP3
Slideshow: Bahrain protests
Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Libyan rebels are fleeing the oil port of Ras Lanuf after sustained attacks by forces loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. Because of the fighting in Libya, foreign workers have been leaving in droves, among them nurses badly needed now. Sean Carberry reports on the shortage of nurses in Libya. (photo: Susan Schulman) Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
From the South Sudanese capital Juba, Matthew Brunwasser reports on the role of oil in Sudan’s recent history. The country began exporting oil in 1999, and the resulting influx in wealth led to a civil war in the country. Now the south may take the majority of wells if the referendum currently under way results in an independent South Sudan.Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Decades of civil war in Sudan have driven many people from their homes. But many have returned in recent years,and with an upcoming referendum on the country’s future scheduled for January, more people have headed back so that they can register to vote. Sean Carberry reports on returnees in Juba, the capital of south Sudan, about their lives in exile, and the challenges of going home. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
The people of southern Sudan are set to vote in a referendum on independence next month. If the vote passes, some northern Sudanese who live in the south fear they may no longer be welcome. Correspondent Sean Carberry reports from southern Sudan. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Southern Sudanese will vote in January whether to secede from Sudan and form an independent country. Members of the diaspora are allowed to vote as well. The World’s Jeb Sharp visits one of the eight referendum centers here in the US to see how registration is going. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Voters in Sudan are less than 50 days away from deciding whether to create a new African country or remain one country. Sudan is Africa’s largest country and this vote is part of a peace deal reached five years ago following civil war between the north and south. Sean Carberry reports. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
The African nation of Sudan could soon be split in two. A referendum is to determine the status of the South of the country. It’s the final phase of the peace agreement that ended the decades-long civil war in Sudan. Polls show that most southerners want to secede and become an independent nation. Sean Carberry is a reporter with PRI’s America Abroad. He’s in Malakal in southern Sudan. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
BBC’s Lina Sinjab talks about evidence that suggests that a local al Qaeda organization based in Yemen is behind the air cargo bomb plot that authorities uncovered last week. Download MP3(Photo: Sean Carberry)Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Sean Carberry reports from Yemen on how low quality education and unemployment continue to make the country a fertile al Qaeda recruiting ground. Download MP3Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.
Young people in Morocco are getting married at older ages, largely because of economic difficulties. This has had an impact in a society in which young people who are religiously banned from pre-marital sexual relationships but have to wait longer to get married. America Abroad’s Sean Carberry traveled to Morocco to find out more (Photo: Sean Carberry)Download MP3