As we update our in-house guidelines we will post them here.
The World’s Guidelines for Online Engagement
- Verify source reliability and attribute it.
- Scrutinize content from crowdsourcing and elsewhere.
- Remember you are a journalist for The World.
- Web 2.0 is a community, not just a one-way conversation, actively engage.
- Add real value to the conversations (e.g. additional info, facts, or resources).
- Be human; be honest; be open; be active.
- Think before you engage users.
- Don’t engage online while angry or drunk.
- Avoid racist, sexist, bigoted and otherwise offensive posting and never abuse a user.
- Don’t engage in an argument – remember add value
- Be honest about your online identity.
- Avoid being partisan.
- Conduct yourself professionally in all your online activities. None of it is truly private.
- Show respect for The World and its people.
…When in doubt ask an editor